Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Flood Fighters of Odisha


When I should have been looking after pro-poor solar lighting projects in rural Karnataka, I am looking after my HELP ODISHA team`s relief and rehabilitation activity in 10 remote villages in Pattamundai block of Kendrapara. These villages have seen hundreds of floods and cyclones due to their geographical (?) positioning. On the 30th morning when we arrived (along with another friend who works with one of India`s leading NGOs) from Bangalore and Delhi respectively, it was a satisfying to see receding water level but shocking to see water marks virtually at half the wall level of hundreds of homes on our way. I wonder how the moment would have been for those who lived there!

Our local friends were waiting half the way to bring us safe with all relief materials as there were some people on the way ready to loot every truck that passes by. The loot was some how understandable for those who have not had access to food shelter for a week but I could see those who have nothing to worry also on the road to lead the loots and take the lion`s share of the loot.

I was getting scared…. can I make sure that whatever little we have managed will reach the affected? Or will we also be trapped like many others have been before us?

A small meeting with my young local team (most of them a student of local Brahmani college) clarified all my doubts. They were too brave to decide to individually visit 10 villages and distribute relief packets including polythene shelters to those who deserved. They firmly decided to bypass all political influences that often comes on way during disaster management. Few ups and downs and few struggle in middle of rivers took our relief boat to villages which were never visited by any of those who frequent them during elections. We were greeted and thanked like GOD…. As our package carried the most important items like baby food and mosquito coil which they never imagined to get as relief items(though it’s the most needed). Four days of walking , boating and cycling took us to 10 villages and around 750 families in need. We were tired but were still raring to go…. The level of poverty had gone beyond all definitions. I wish the planning commission of India visits them to understand the definition sometime. Its difficult to imagine how and when these people can get out of poverty line!

During the same time, we had an unintentional interaction with the local panchayat office which was also half submerged in flood water. The peon told us about the relief activities and when asked how much he is paid, the answer was Rs.300 per month…. I asked again, per day or per month?? And again is it part time or full time? The answer was the same …. 300 per month full time. I asked again, who are the other employees of the panchayat and he pointed out to an computer operator (who never visits the office). Upon enquiry he said there is a computer in the office but no electricity connection but the operator gets paid around 4000-5000 per month. I was wondering what kind of a system is this???

This conversation encouraged us to investigate the relief distribution a bit which was again a shocker. Rampant corruption at every level… from Sarpanch to word member to the middle man of politics , everyone got a share and no one questions. We asked about Gram sabha and was told it has never been conducted in last many years. So basically democracy is taken out of the system after every election.

Coming to the state administration, it was encouraging to see the state Govt. taking some steps to repair roads and distribute relief but I was ashamed to see the State Govt. begging in front of the center every year for relief package instead of having any long term planning. I wish Mr. Chief Minister looks at a something longterm and looks at the corruption down his chair.

When I see the Durga Puja preparations in Cuttack on TV, I should have been amazed by the artistic brilliance and the huge arrangements made. But I was amazed by the shamelessness of my sate mates. They didn’t feel ashamed to spend crores of rupees on decoration when lakhs of their neighbors have nothing to eat. Why and in what face is our Govt going and asking the center to give us money then? We seem to have enough of money to celebrate in this disaster. If our own brothers are not bothered about what is happening here, then why should anyone else care? I feel embarrassed to see this coz I also had raised money through my friends and colleagues outside Orissa. Unfortunately non of my Odia friends responded to my request.

HELP ODISHA team shall continue relief and rehabilitation till it runs out of resources. I am trying to raise more money to make one area completely prepared for disaster management and have a long term strategy to make sure the impact is less every time another flood hits the area.

No comments: