Friday, December 29, 2006

International Conference on Innovation & New Product Development

20th December 2006, Chennai India, my first professional presentation before an experienced and intellectual international crowd. As per the programme, Dr.Harish Hande, our Managing director was supposed to address the international conference on Innovation & new product development about the experience of SELCO. As Dr. Hande was busy in some other schedule, Mr. Thomas, General Manager (Operations) was all set to depart for Chennai but due to some unavoidable reason, he was unable to attend. Then I received a call from Mr. Thomas, asking me to address the conference. It was less a surprise more a fear for me. Though I delivered lot of public speeches, presentations and participated in state level debate competitions during my study but It was completely a different situation. I was afraid, whether I `d be able to make justice with this responsibility or not.

Finally with the help of Mr. Thomas, I got ready to depart for Chennai. After arriving at Chennai, I got Mr. Suresh Subramanian Chief Operating Officer of International Development Enterprise India, as my room mate. I got some strength and confidence, talking to him. By the time, my presentation was 12.15 PM but it got delayed by one hour. I attended some other speeches by different speakers. A couple of them I remember, Prof. Suzuki from Japan, he gave a definition on quality, which was quite impressive. As per him, “quality can not be measured by the strength, durability or Materials used in the product. It completely depends upon the customer satisfaction. If the customer is satisfied with the performance, then the product is of best quality, no matter if it doesn’t last long”.

Dr.RAvi Chitturi of Lehigh University, US described about Emotion in Design. Dr.A.S.Rao, Scientist, ‘G’, DST, Govt of India explained about various opportunities on product innovations. Mr.Vineet Rai, CEO- Avishkar Micro venture capitals, presented an excellent concept of “Business at Base of the Pyramid”.When my number came, It was 1.30 PM and looking at a hungry crowd, I was more nervous than before. But after my introduction by Dr. K. Chandrasekharan, vice-president , PDMA India, I started my presentation “Product Innovation- sharing of experience”. My first line was “I know I am too young to address such an experienced and intellectual crowd but hope, I can make justice with my job”. Then I put lime light on SELCO`s experience in product, service and Financial innovations. The definition given by me “Innovation is much beyond technology. Its a combination of product, finance, supply and service, which adds value to the end user's quality of life” was highly praised by the conferences.

It was a great experience all together when people came to me, asking more about us and the work we do. Some were very much interested in having a future partnership with us. This exposure really boosted my confidence and my strength too. Thanks to Harish sir and Thomas sir for providing me such a great opportunity so early.

No comments: